Monday, March 7, 2011

La Vie en Rose

La Vie en Rose

Released: February 14, 2007

  • Director: Olivier Dahan
  • Leading Characters: Marion Cotillard (Edith Piaf), Sylvie Testud (Momone) and Pascal Greggory (Louis Barrier)
  • Biography/Drama
  • Rated PG 13
  • #1054 on list

A look at the life of the Little Sparrow, Édith Piaf (1915-1963). Her mother is an alcoholic street singer, her father a circus performer, her paternal grandmother a madam. During childhood she lives with each of them. At 20, she's a street singer discovered by a club owner who's soon murdered, coached by a musician who brings her to concert halls, and then quickly famous. Constant companions are alcohol and heartache. The tragedies of her love affair with Marcel Cerdan and the death of her only child belie the words of one of her signature songs, "Non, je ne regrette rien." The back and forth nature of the narrative suggests the patterns of memory and association. *Taken from IMDB.

In the beginning of our project John went through our 1001 book he'd read off the title and I'd look them up on Netflix to add to either instant or mail list. This is one that was added to our list during that time and we just barely watched it since it was going to be taken off instant. I really wish we would have watched it sooner, I didn't give it the credit it deserved just looking at the title. Shame, shame of me. This movie is fantastic!

The story is a little confusing at first since the movie jumps all over Edith's life and isn't in chronological order, also it's in French with English subtitles, but once you get past all that and enveloped into the story you forget about all of that.
I had never heard of Edith Piaf and I found that refreshing unlike most singer biography movies (Walk the Line, good movie, but I knew what was going to happen) and I fell in love with her very tragic life.

Marion Cotillard does a fantastic job playing Edith and no one would have been as good as her, she is one of only five actors to have won an Academy Award for a part spoken mainly in a foreign language.
This movie really touched me and I put it on my amazon wish list the second it ended. You must watch this movie and even better, own it.

I give it a big 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment