Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Top Gun

Top Gun

Released: May 16, 1986

Director: Tony Scott
Leading Characters: Tom Cruise (Maverick), Kelly McGillis (Charlie), Val Kilmer (Iceman)
Action/Drama
Rated PG
#754 on list

The macho students of an elite US Flying school for advanced fighter pilots compete to be best in the class, and one romances the teacher. *taken from IMDB

I hadn't seen Top Gun before I watched it last night, could be because it came out a year before I was born and not my cup of tea at all. With it being on the list and expiring from Netflix instant download in a few days we were forced to watch it.

The first half hour into it I looked over at John and said, "I'm bored." He replied, "Me too." which shocked me since he really does like these types of movies.
I never really became unbored.
The navy jargon was way over my head and it's not because I'm stupid, it's just too over the top for the normal citizen. They were talking about flight plans and naughty things Tom cruise did when flying the jet and I was thinking, "he did something wrong?"
While reading the trivia on IMBD I found this out: The call sign 'Ghostrider' that Maverick uses for his plane was the name of a real F-14 squadron (VF-142), and a model of a Tomcat from that squadron can be seen behind Sundown in the shot where Maverick tells Slider he stinks.
I couldn't figure out why Tom Cruise kept saying Ghostrider because his call name is Maverick, now I understand.

The most joy I got out of the movie was making fun of their song selection. The songs themselves were great, but instead of picking a new song for a new scene they'd just replay a song. I think I heard "Highway to the Danger Zone!" 7 times. When a new song came on I'd exclaim, "Oh! Almost a full soundtrack!"

Meg Ryan is in for a few glimpses and she's fantastic. "Goose! Take me to bed or loose me forever!" I wish she was in the movie longer, then maybe it would have been better. In fact, if the movie was made today it would probably be better and easier to follow the flying.


I could live my whole life without seeing Top Gun ever again, but I guess it's the movie that really started Tom Cruise's career.
I give it 2 out of 5 stars because at least it entertained me enough to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment