Monday, June 28, 2010

The Breakfast Club

The Breakfast Club
Released: February 15 1985

  • Director: John Hughes
  • Leading Characters: Esteves - Andrew Clark, Anthony Michael Hall - Brian Johnson, Judd Nelson - John Bender, Molly Ringwald - Clair Standish, Ally Sheedy - Allison Reynolds
  • Dramatic Comedy
  • Rated R for launguage, drug use and sexual content (all talking, no doing)
  • #720 on list
I'm not sure why this movie is on the list, why it's called The Breakfast Club (I googled it after we watched it and IMDB said  its from the nickname invented by students and staff for detention at New Trier High School, the school attended by the son of one of John Hughes' friends. Thus, those who were sent to detention were designated members of "The Breakfast Club". Lame.)

Five Chicago high school kids (the athlete, the brain,the criminal, the princess and the basket case )are from different circles and stations in life are forced to spend a Saturday together in detention. The disparate group clashes at first but begin to bond as they reveal their feelings and find a common enemy in their bully principal. *Taken from Netflix

I had really high hopes with the movie since Don't You (Forget About Me) plays during the opening credits, but truthfully I don't get this movie.
I don't feel like it really has a plot and it really bounces from scene to scene (but maybe this is because that's how the kids are passing their time in detention). They took the kids characters to extremes and made them really over the top. Yeah I knew jocks, princesses and weirdos in school but none of them were that intense.

In one scene the kids are sitting in a circle talking about why they're in detention and life in general and it becomes so deep. The jock goes off about how his dad is too hard on him, wanting him to only win (while the camera circles around him really dramatically) and I guess you're suppose to feel bad for him but all I felt was lack of interest.
The nerd then says that he views them as friends now that they've spent all these hours together, really you're friends? All you do is yell at each other, put each other down and fight, do friends really do that?
After the princess Claire's very honest speech that they really cant be friends because of their social standings John blows up at her saying very hurtful things but then she's kissing him a few minutes later, I go around kissing people who call me names to, doesn't everyone?
The best scene is when the kids are hiding John under the desk because he's suppose to be locked up in another room. I was actually mildly entertained, then it ended and the boredom kicked in again.

I read some of the reviews trying to figure out why people are drawn to this movie and while reading I was wondering if they watched a different movie than I did. Don't get my wrong, I usually love 80's movies but this one was just too out there for me. Bad acting, bad script, bad plot, just not my cup of tea.
The music was really good though....

I'd give this 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment